Topic: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
Replies: 28   Last Post: Feb 3, 2013 11:57 PM

JT

Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases

On 2 Feb, 06:45, JT <jonas.thornv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1 Feb, 15:06, Frederick Williams <freddywilli...@btinternet.com>
> wrote:
>

> > JT wrote:
> > > And 0.999... would be expressed as 0.3 or.......?
>
> > What are you asking?  Does 0.9 recurring (in base 10)  have the same
> > value as 0.3 (in base 3)?  No, 0.9 recurring (in base 10) has the same
> > value as 1.0 (in base 3).

> > --
> > When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by
> > this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him.
> > Jonathan Swift: Thoughts on Various Subjects, Moral and Diverting

> Well actually in this numbersystem in base 3
> 0,3=1
> This means that 0,3 actually completes 0.999... in standard digit
> expansion, it is the sum of all possible fractions of a single natural
> number.
>
> So in my bases a single natural actually equals the sum of all
> fractions thus 1=0,3 in base 3 the decimal expansion is complete.

In reality though you will never use it since 3/3 equals one.

Date Subject Author
2/1/13
Read 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
JT
2/1/13
Read Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
forbisgaryg@gmail.com
2/1/13
Read Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
JT
2/1/13
Read Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
forbisgaryg@gmail.com
2/1/13
Read Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
JT
2/2/13
Read Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
JT
2/1/13
Read Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
Frederick Williams
[...]
2/3/13
Read Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
JT
2/3/13
Read Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
Virgil
2/3/13