Topic: Effects of Poverty on U.S. Children's Educational Achievement
Redux

Replies: 2   Last Post: Feb 3, 2013 9:15 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Effects of Poverty on U.S. Children's Educational Achievement Redux

Alain Schremmer posted Jan 20, 2013 5:15 AM:

> On Jan 19, 2013, at 5:03 PM, Richard Hake wrote:
>

> > I implied that children *in poverty* are less
> capable of *academic

<snip>
> I totally agree and, in fact, I could continue the list > of things caused by poverty that are not exactly
> conducive to "academic achievement"---as I am sure you
> could too.

> Which reminds me of the response I recently got from
> colleagues of mine as I was deploring the very small
> percentage of the students attempting Arithmetic who
> complete Differential Calculus (0.24%): "But that's
> because these students DO NOT WANT to go into Calculus."

>Best regards
>--schremmer

I wholeheartedly agree. It's often a 'mindset problem' - the mindset requiring change belonging to educators, administrators and parents as much as (probably more than) to students. It is notoriously difficult (often even regarded as impossible) to change mindsets. I broadly disagree with 'impossibility' (though surely that exists, as well - see below).

How then to change things? I suggest some live work on real issues confronted could ensure progress.

Tools described at the attachments to my post at the 'Math-teach' forum, http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2419536 could help, quite significantly, to change mindsets.

[Of course, it's a given that people should be *basically willing* to work to 'change their mindsets' - which, I have found, is often not the case at all.

[It is, in general, significantly more difficult to change the entrenched mindsets of adults than it is of children (and young people), who are often willing, sometimes even eager, to learn and to 'unlearn'. In some cases, I have found that adults even have their minds hermetically sealed against the ingress of new knowledge.

[Unlearning is rather more difficult to do than is learning. In many cases, unlearning has to be done in tandem with the learning - or the learning will not happen at all].

GSC