Topic: meforce
Replies: 36   Last Post: Mar 13, 2013 1:28 PM

Tom Potter

Re: To see me always changes

"Mahipal" <mahipal7638@gmail.com> wrote in message
>On Feb 9, 2:48 pm, Frederick Williams <freddywilli...@btinternet.com>
>wrote:

>> Mahipal wrote:
>>

>> > [...]
>>
>> > As an experiment, of the observational scientific kind, take a close
>> > and deep look at the palms of both your hands. Draw what you see, or
>> > take a photograph with your very own smartestphone. Take an image of
>> > you making an image of you making your own image... recursively on and
>> > on...

>> Or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drawing_Hands.

>You Fred are both kind and brave just to interact on this silly
>thread. Watch your back...
>
>I love M.C. Escher! Studied closely the Douglas Hofstadter GEB book
>over the years as well. Still, my aim is targeted at you -- any you --
>focusing on the inside of your hands. Your palms.
>
>The recursion TV theme I have had in mind is of Comedian Philosopher
>Steve Martin on Saturday Night Live pointing at himself and exclaiming
>"There's me watching me watching me watching me..."
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Spheres_II
>
>In http://mahipal7638.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/tauntedpoet.pdf I
>capture my animated respect of Escher.
>

>> --
>> When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by
>> this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him.
>> Jonathan Swift: Thoughts on Various Subjects, Moral and Diverting

>Nice quote that.

You make a great point
with your comment above, your previous comment:

"As an experiment, of the observational scientific kind, take a close
and deep look at the palms of both your hands. Draw what you see, or
take a photograph with your very own smartestphone. Take an image of
you making an image of you making your own image... recursively on and
on...

Yes, I realize I am talking mostly to myself. Across four discussion
groups no less. It's called broadcasting and I am, dare I state it,
the finest audience, a proud spirited representative of the fertile
open human mind. I myself will return one day to read what is written."

and your reference to Escher.

We are all our "finest audience".
and are locked in recursive loops that have a past origin.

As can be seen by the drive to create and maintain photos, videos,
writings, data, artifact like trophies, awards and such,

rather than march boldly into the unknown future,
we are hardwired to freeze our minds at some point in the past.

It would be interesting if psychologists
did research about the ages that people tend
to recursive about.

I dare say that recursive age of
athletes, "beautiful gals", successful business and business people,
paranoiac, bipolar people, farmers, herders, etc.
tend to peak about certain ages.

When I was a sales engineer
and visited many people in their offices,
it was interesting and **useful**
to see what they "recursed" about
as evidenced by the things they displayed in their offices.

I suspect that the best mental attitude would be:
"It's been great so far, but the best is yet to come."

"To see me always changes." ( In pursuit of the best.)

Maybe people should be conditioned to this
by families, religions, education and governments??

Individuals tend to recurse on some point in their past,

religions focus on
"The past may have been good or bad, but best is yet to come."

whereas governments and the military tries to get people to focus on
what is NOW important to the leaders.

Perhaps the "tenses" provide a good starting point for philosophers and
planners.

http://individual.utoronto.ca/ajhicks/grammar_chart_3.jpg

--
Tom Potter