Topic: (yet unsolved) how to Solve coupled ODEs
Replies: 4   Last Post: Feb 13, 2013 4:11 AM

Torsten

Re: (yet unsolved) how to Solve coupled ODEs

"Henry" wrote in message <kfeavo$2f$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> I modified the code to:
>
> tspan = linspace(1, 2,100);
> y = 0.0001*ones(1,200);
> [T,sols] = ode45(@yprime, tspan,y);
> and
> dyds = [dyds1' ; dyds2'];
>
> and it now runs, thanks.
>
> But I have this question: My odes are time-independent, function of "s" which is a distance, but since the ode45 will not work without a tspan, I came up with an arbitrary tspan. It looks as if ode45 interprets that "s" is a time? I'm confused as to how interpret the result of the routine which has dimensions of 100x200. I was expecting 1 x 200, i.e. independent of time.
> thanks

By the way:
I suspect that you want to set different values of a,b,c and d for different values of s and solve for only _two_ solutions y(1) and y(2). That's not what you do in your code above.
You will have to use MATLAB's interp1 function to get values for a,b,c and d at the distance s where the solver needs the values of the derivatives dyds(1) and dyds(2).

Or do you want to make a parameter study, i.e. different solutions for different
combinations of the parameters a,b,c and d ? Then your code above
is also incorrect because you always refer to y(1) and y(2) in the evaluation of the derivatives, thus the solution for only the _first_ parameter set.

We need more information about your underlying problem in order to give
useful advice.

Best wishes
Torsten.