Topic: Factoring a polynomial with many variables
Replies: 1   Last Post: Feb 13, 2013 4:48 AM

Daniel Lichtblau

Re: Factoring a polynomial with many variables

On Tuesday, February 12, 2013 2:23:11 AM UTC-6, topi...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Is there a way to factor a polynomial in many variables. I have not studied
>
> algebraic geometry, or Buchberger algorithm.

Short answer: yes. It imposes some requirements on the base field, and could be slow depending on specifics of the polynomial (degree, #variables, coefficient "sizes", etc.)

Such factoring can be done using Groebner bases (the Buchberger algorithm you refer to), but usually is not.

Daniel Lichtblau
Wolfram Research