Topic: PCA
Replies: 5   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 11:13 AM

robert bristow-johnson

Re: PCA

On 2/15/13 9:15 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:
>> In comp.dsp RichD <r_delaney2001@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> I've been trying to grok principal component analysis
>>> recently, but it isn't clicking. What's the motivation
>>> and purpose of PCA?

>>> I've studied linear algebra, and familiar with singular value
>>> decomposition, is it somehow related to that?

>> The wikipedia page looks pretty good, and does explain that it
>> is connected to SVD. It also has some nice pictures.
>>
>> -- glen
>>

> If you are referring to
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principal_component_analysis,
>
> YUKK!
>
> Back in midst of last century that would be taken as absolute proof that
> engineers could not write.
> Are they now being challenged ?????

yeah, i couldn't decode the wikipedia article either.

but i typed in "principal component analysis tutorial" into Google and
got some pretty good hits. the one by this Lindsey Smith guy looks
pretty good.

--

r b-j rbj@audioimagination.com