Topic: Matheology § 222 Back to the roots
Replies: 6   Last Post: Feb 20, 2013 3:13 PM

mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de

Re: Matheology § 222 Back to the roots

On 19 Feb., 23:28, fom <fomJ...@nyms.net> wrote:
> On 2/19/2013 9:16 AM, WM wrote:

> >> So, how do you know it's not rational, then?
>
> > Because every rational number has a representation in a finite base.
>
> >> Is there "no doubt", as you describe the conclusion of an argument
> >> using induction over the natural numbers?

> > No there is no induction required but the simple proof by
> > contradiction.
> > Assume sqrt2 = m/n with m,n coprime. You can find it in many places of
> > the internet, for instance in chapter 3 of my Geschichte des
> > Unendlichen.

> Humor us.
>
> Show us for surd(5).
>
> The proof for surd(2) is special because it uses odds and evens.-

And you think that the fundamental theorem of number theory makes a
difference between prime factor 2 and others, say 3 or 5 or 7?

You are humorous guy.

Regards, WM