Topic: Avoid a certain solution w fzero
Replies: 4   Last Post: Feb 21, 2013 10:12 AM

Torsten

Re: Avoid a certain solution w fzero

"Matt beach" <all.guitars.for.me@gmail.com> wrote in message <kg59cu$dpc$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> actually, my function isn't a polynominal. It has arctan's, sqrt's, and sine's

Divide your function f(x) by x^n where n is the multiplicity of the zero at x=0.
Then the new function g(x)=f(x)/x^n is different from 0 at x=0, but all other roots remain unchanged.
Example:
f(x)=x^2*(x-4) has a zero of multiplicity 2 at x=0.
Dividing by x^2, you get g(x)=x-4.
f(x) and g(x) both share the third root x=4.

Best wishes
Torsten.