The Math Forum

Topic: Problems with Infinity?
Replies: 14   Last Post: Feb 27, 2013 4:22 PM

David Bernier

Re: Problems with Infinity?

On 02/27/2013 01:06 AM, netzweltler wrote:
> On 26 Feb., 19:54, "Brian M. Scott"<b.sc...@csuohio.edu> wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 22:46:40 -0800 (PST), netzweltler
>> <reinhard_fisc...@arcor.de> wrote in
>> in rec.arts.sf.written,sci.math:
>>

>>> When we assign the origin of the horizontal infinite line,
>>> and we are coming from the left, we can count all the
>>> meters to the right of the origin. Can we possibly have
>>> counted all the meters to the left of the origin as soon
>>> as we arrive there?

>> What's this nonsense about 'coming' and 'arriving'?

> Take the infinite time line. We are 'coming' from the past, we
> 'arrive' at the present (where we assign our origin), and we can count
> all the years in the future. And the set of years before the origin is
> countably infinite, isn't it?

That would (probably) mean that infinitely many once-in-a-hundred-years
events
have happened... (or would have happened).

Same for hundred->thousand or hundred->billion, ad infinitum ...

dave

--
dracut:/# lvm vgcfgrestore
File descriptor 9 (/.console_lock) leaked on lvm invocation. Parent PID