Topic: Deformable platonic "solids"
Replies: 23   Last Post: Mar 12, 2013 8:11 PM

David Bernier

Re: Deformable platonic "solids"

On 03/04/2013 08:29 PM, 1treePetrifiedForestLane wrote:
> did you see, _The Fifty-nine Icosahedra_ ??

No, I don't know about that.

>> 53 real variables, 29 algebraic equations.

It's algebraic geometry over the real numbers.
In standard position, we're at a point P_0
on the variety V which "lives" in R^53.

In a small open neighborhood of P_0, we could have
up to 53-29 = 24 free real variables.

I know about Gaussian elimination for linear equations,
but here we have 29 equations, each of total degree 2,
so it's more complicated.

A successful elimination could yield a
parameterization of V in a sufficiently
small open neighborhood of P_0.

I don't feel like trying this though, it seems too
much hard work.

David Bernier

> thus:
> concept of perpendicular universes. in my universe,
> you are not a descartesian ... what ever you actually are.

[...]

--
dracut:/# lvm vgcfgrestore
File descriptor 9 (/.console_lock) leaked on lvm invocation. Parent PID