Topic: Would this be your daughter?
Replies: 22   Last Post: Mar 10, 2013 11:04 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Would this be your daughter?

Robert Hansen posted Mar 8, 2013 9:29 AM:

> On Mar 7, 2013, at 8:37 PM, GS Chandy
> <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > And - I have generally found - such "overweening
> parents" are generally a WHOLE LOT less *effective*
> as parents than they believe themselves to be. I
> have seen a few such parents.
>
> Well, I have been entirely open with my experience of
> parenting and the results. Maybe it is time that you
> and Lou share yours so that I can understand better
> where you are coming from.
>
> Bob Hansen

Where I'm coming from:
====
Try and encourage the natural 'question-asking frame of mind' that's inherent in every human being (but which is alas stultified in most of our conventional systems - 'teacher-student' systems; 'parent-child' systems; school systems; government systems; whatever). THAT'S where I'm coming from!

As a teacher, I believe Anna Roys appears to have exactly the right approach, as expressed in a couple of her messages (in another thread, "Why schools used to be better"):

- -- http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=8523322
- -- http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=8570400

The underlying moral is, IMHO, "Don't be overweening - whether you're a parent or a teacher".

The opposite philosophy (which I'd guess appeals rather more to you) might be expressed as: "Don't be 'UNDERweening' - whether you're a parent or a teacher".

Different strokes for different folks.

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy