Topic: Finding equivalent matrix
Replies: 2   Last Post: Mar 12, 2013 3:21 AM

Doctor Nisith Bairagi

From: Uttarpara, West Bengal, India
Registered: 3/2/13
Re: Finding equivalent matrix

From: Doctor Nisith Bairagi
Uttarpara, West bengal, India
Sub: MATRIX INVERSION
Date:Marcch 12, 2013
Dear Mathematican,

I also pose a problem on matrix:
Associated with the famous Fibonacci sequence, namely: 1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,..., (where every third number is the sum of the second and first number),the two roots of the quadratic equation x^2 - x - 1 = 0, show that their difference = 1. That is, x - 1/x = 1.
Then, can any body tell me, what will be the matrix [A]so that the difference of [A] and its inverse [inv A]will result in a unit matrix [I]?
That is,if [A] - [inv A] = [I], [A] = ?
In the same line, please tell me,a second one :
if [A] + [inv A] = 6[I], [A] = ?

Please send the answer in this column, and also to my email address: <bairagi605@yahoo.co.in>

Thanks from:
Doctor Nisith Bairagi
[Retired Professor of Structural Engineering,
IIT-Bombay, India.]