Topic: Physicists Discover a Whopping 13 New Solutions to Three-Body Problem
Replies: 2   Last Post: Mar 12, 2013 8:17 PM

BJACOBY@teranews.com

Re: Physicists Discover a Whopping 13 New Solutions to Three-Body
Problem

On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 10:17:16 -0500, Sam Wormley wrote:

> Physicists Discover a Whopping 13 New Solutions to Three-Body Problem
>> http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2013/03/physicists-discover-a-
whopping.html?ref=hp

>> It's the sort of abstract puzzle that keeps a scientist awake at night:
>> Can you predict how three objects will orbit each other in a repeating
>> pattern? In the 300 years since this "three-body problem"
>> was first recognized, just three families of solutions have been found.
>> Now, two physicists have discovered 13 new families. It's quite a feat
>> in mathematical physics, and it could conceivably help astrophysicists
>> understand new planetary systems.
>>
>> The trove of new solutions has researchers jazzed. "I love these
>> things," says Robert Vanderbei a mathematician at Princeton University
>> who was not involved in the work. He says he, in fact,
>> spent all night thinking about the work.

Just what is "mathematical phsyics" anyway? How about "applied
mathematics"? Of course most real mathematicians hate anything that's
"applied". It's only physicists who should have been mathematicians and
think that the more abstruse the math you can generate the more is shows
you are a "science brain", that are impressed with this work.

The fact that all the so-called physicists are all having an orgasm over
this mathmatical work shows precisely one of the things that is wrong
with science today.

Great work, math guys! Next you can all work on trying to show that the
solar system is stable.