Topic: Multiple independent random number streams cannot be implemented.
Replies: 6   Last Post: Mar 19, 2013 1:51 AM

Sseziwa Mukasa

Re: Multiple independent random number streams cannot be implemented.

You are asking for the opposite of independent random variables.

I can think of a couple of solutions to your problem. If you know how
many samples you're going to take you can initialize a vector and have f
& g remember where they are in the vector.

HiddenRandomStateContext`fpos = 1;
HiddenRandomStateContext`gpos=1;
HiddenRandomStateContext`randomSequence = RandomReal[{0, 1}, <Maximum number of samples>];

f[]:=HiddenRandomStateContext`randomSequence[[HiddenRandomStateContext`fpos++]]

g[]:=HiddenRandomStateContext`randomSequence[[HiddenRandomStateContext`gpos++]]

I you can't preallocate the values you have to start with the same seed and iterate:

HiddenRandomStateContext`fpos = 1;
HiddenRandomStateContext`gpos=1;
HiddenRandomStateContext`nthRandomValue[n_] = := Block[{}, SeedRandom[1]; Last[RandomReal[]]];

f[]:=HiddenRandomStateContext`nthRandomValue[HiddenRandomStateContext`fpos++]

g[]:=HiddenRandomStateContext`nthRandomValue[HiddenRandomStateContext`gpos++]

This of course scales as O(n^2) in time for the nth value. I think you may be able to get a small speed up by memoizing the values of g[] and f[] for different numbers of calls, but I think the larger question is what are you trying to accomplish by this?

Regards,
Sseziwa