Topic: Automatic solving of unprepared polynomial equation systems?
Replies: 9   Last Post: Apr 1, 2013 9:08 AM

Rouben Rostamian

Re: Automatic solving of unprepared polynomial equation systems?

In article <kj9ge6$272$1@news.albasani.net>, IV <ivgroups@onlinehome.de> wrote:

>It seems that computer algebra systems like Maple (version 11) and
>Mathematica (version 7) can not solve all simply solvable equation systems
>automatically. Let us look e.g. at the equation system [c1=A*B/C, c2=C*A/D,
>D=c3-A, C=A-B], where c1, c2 and c3 are real or complex constants, A, B, C
>and D are real or complex variables, and the solutions for the variable A
>are wanted. The equation system forms a cubic equation in A, and the
>solutions of the equation system are the solutions of this cubic equation.
>But the solve command can find neither the cubic equation nor its solutions.
>I think, the equation system has to be somehow prepared to yield a normal
>form of equation systems. Is a normal form for polynomial equation systems
>known?

As Axel Vogt has pointed out, solving this system is straightforward
in Maple, and I suspect in Mathematica as well. Probably you did not
enter the commands correctly.

Axel presented his solution in Maple 17. Since you mentioned Maple 11,
I tested the same on Maple 11. Works fine.

--
Rouben Rostamian