Topic: GLM Saturated Model Question
Replies: 1   Last Post: Apr 1, 2013 1:38 AM

Richard Ulrich

Re: GLM Saturated Model Question

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 12:44:09 -0700 (PDT), SChapman
<sumanthcp@googlemail.com> wrote:

>In the chapter on Analysis of Deviance on Generalized Linear Models I came across 'Saturated Model' - a model that includes as many parameters as the number of observations.
>
>1) I am having difficulty visualising Saturated model. Can someone please give me the Saturated model in terms of Yi, X1i, X2i etc?
>
>2) Since I am unable to visualise the saturated model, I can't appreciate the fact that the for the saturated model the fitted value is in fact the actual response value.

I don't think of "staturated model" in any ANOVA context.

Where I have encountered the term is in multidimensional,
log-linear model building. In that case, the number of
parameters is equal to the number of d.f. rather than the
number of observations.

For instance, a 2x2x2 table has 7 d.f. There are 3 main
effects (means), 3 interactions of two terms, and one
3-way interaction in the saturated model. The use of
the saturated model is for computing the deviance from
the less-full model, instead of just saying "from zero".
I guess it seems more proper to do it that way.

--
Rich Ulrich