Topic: Fwd: Field Memo on Transition to Common Core Regents Exams and
Updated June 2014 Regents Exam Schedule

Replies: 3   Last Post: Apr 3, 2013 10:05 PM

Ryley David

RE: Field Memo on Transition to Common Core Regents Exams and
Updated June 2014 Regents Exam Schedule

att1.html (12.2 K)

I am surprised there haven?t been more comments/questions on the list-serve regarding this change in Common Core implementation. I applaud the decision as it gives NYSED more time to prepare for the new exams and more time for us to get necessary materials from them. I also am happy that the students get the opportunity to take both Algebra exams next June. Students who are in year 1 of 2 right now would have been forced to take only the Common Core exam while the exact content of the CC curriculum has not exactly been made clear during most of this school year.

My #1 question is when will the students get their scores from the early June CC Algebra Regents? I don?t know how long the standard setting will take, but in fairness, the student?s should know what their score is on the CC exam before the Integrated Algebra exam is given. This way they know if they need to take the 2nd exam. As it is, school districts are probably going to end up paying for lots of unused exams for the Integrated to cover the kids in case they don?t pass the CC test.

Dave Ryley
Beacon HS
Beacon, NY

From: Ken Wagner <KWAGNER@MAIL.NYSED.GOV<mailto:KWAGNER@MAIL.NYSED.GOV>>
Date: March 29, 2013, 11:52:18 AM EDT
To: Charter Administrators <charter@listserv.nysed.gov<mailto:charter@listserv.nysed.gov>>, District Superintendents <distsup@listserv.nysed.gov<mailto:distsup@listserv.nysed.gov>>, Nonpublic Administrators <nonpublic@listserv.nysed.gov<mailto:nonpublic@listserv.nysed.gov>>, Public Administrators <pubadmin@listserv.nysed.gov<mailto:pubadmin@listserv.nysed.gov>>, School Superintendents <supt-info@listserv.nysed.gov<mailto:supt-info@listserv.nysed.gov>>
Cc: Ken Slentz <KSLENTZ@MAIL.NYSED.GOV<mailto:KSLENTZ@MAIL.NYSED.GOV>>
Colleagues,

The attached memo provides information on the transition to Common Core Regents Exams in English Language Arts (ELA) and in mathematics (Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II).

Please note that the June 2014 Regents Exam schedule has been updated based on field feedback.

Because the first administrations of the Common Core exams in Geometry and Algebra II have been postponed until June 2015 and June 2016, respectively, the June 2014 exam schedule has been amended such that the Regents Examination in Algebra I (Common Core) will be administered on the morning of June 3, the Regents Examination in ELA (Common Core) will be administered on the afternoon of June 3, and no exams will be administered on June 4, as had originally been planned.

We will re-send the memo the week of April 8 for those who may have missed it during school vacations.

Thank you for your help with this work,

Ken