Topic: Then answer to Frege's two objections to formalism.
Replies: 17   Last Post: Apr 9, 2013 7:56 AM

Zaljohar@gmail.com

Re: Then answer to Frege's two objections to formalism.

On Apr 5, 2:25 pm, Zuhair <zaljo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just want to argue that
>
> "Mathematics is analytic processing fictional or real"
>
> First I'll try to explain what is meant by "analytic".
>
> Analytic statements are those that can be known to be true or false
> just from examining their syntax, i.e. their written or spoken
> components. So there is no need whatsoever to seek external
> observation to known their truth status. An obvious example is the
> statement "All bald men are bald", now this statement is true and this
> can be known on grammatical basis from analyzing the language in which
> that statement was made, we don't need at all to go and select a
> random sample of bald men in the population and check if they were
> bald or not? The above statement is True by virtue of the meaning
> given to the individual components of it. To make a nice contrast take
> the statement "Napoleon weighed 80 kg when he was dead", now this is a
> statement lets say referring to the body weight of Napoleon the known
> emperor of France, however there is no way to know whether it is true
> or false without a record of a measurement of his body weight at his
> death, so external observation is needed. Those kinds of propositions
> are said to be synthetic because in addition to understanding them one
> needs other requirements to reach at their truth so understanding them
> is not enough to determine their truth.
>
> So Analytic statement are those whose understanding their meaning is
> enough to know their truth status.
>
> Anyhow analytic reasoning is not that simple, it can be made too
> complex that one cannot even know the answer to them!
>
> Analytic is much of a Rule following game really.
>
> An example of that is the following:
>
> If we say that the following rule applies to R for whatever x,y,z are
>
> If x R y and y R z Then x R z.
>
> Then for fixed objects A,B,C it is true that
>
> If A R B and B R C then A R C
>
> This is a simple substitution instance of the above rule, and the
> above reasoning is purely analytic.
>
> Now lets try take some simple mathematical examples and see how can
> they fit in to analytics:
>
> We may say that "1+1" which is a string of symbols Is replaceable by
> the symbol 2 and vice verse whenever those occur without any
> alternation in truth. So this is definitional rule. Also we may also
> defined the string of symbols 1+1+1 to be symbolically interchangeable
> (replaceable) with the symbol 3.
> Then it analytically follows that 2+1=3 and also it analytically
> follows that 1+2=3
> and it analytically follows that 2+1=1+2. All those are simple
> analytic consequences of the above rule.
>
> So analytic processing is about RULE FOLLOWING.
>
> Clearly mathematics can be reasoned about as being about Rule
> following processes.
>
> Now what I mean by a process is nothing but the fellowship of a rule.
> It is to be understood that this can be highly complex, especially if
> we start from separate rules, and then stipulate that those are
> [...]

I wanted just to add an abbreviation that is "virtual reality" this
can signify what I described as a fiction that is in proximity with
the real world. So interesting mathematics would be nothing but the
body of Analytic facts about a logically driven (rule following)
virtual reality (OR actual reality! itself)

Now those facts would be significant if that logically driven virtual
reality world is consistent or near consistent. An what I mean by near
consistent is that if the physical world proves to be way beyond a
finite limit on the amount of elementary material in it and if all of
what occurs in the physical world also is way below some finite limit,
lets call this limit L, then any logically driven theory T having the
shortest proof of its inconsistency built of more than L many
characters, then T is said to be near consistent and it qualifies as
virtual reality, and it would be prone to have application in the real
world, i.e. it would be likely that concrete objects in the real world
would have properties and relations that proximate those of that
virtual world. So Analytics about that virtual world would be
interesting in the sense of possible applicability. Of course if we
have a strong proof of the consistency of T this would be more than
enough to qualify it as virtual reality, and thus Analytics about it
would be interesting math.

Zuhair