Topic: Matheology § 257
Replies: 11   Last Post: Apr 23, 2013 5:05 PM

David Petry

Re: Matheology § 257

On Monday, April 22, 2013 4:53:22 AM UTC-7, fom wrote:

> > [Gregory Chaitin: "How real are real numbers?" (2004)]

(a quote from Chaitin):

> "In spite of the fact that most individual real
> numbers will forever escape us, the notion
> of an arbitrary real has beautiful mathematical
> properties and is a concept that helps us
> to organize and understand the real world.
> Individual concepts in a theory do not need
> to have concrete meaning on their own; it is
> enough if the theory as a whole can be
> compared with the results of experiments."

Some mathematicians write so beautifully that they should be poets. I mean, they should be poets instead of being mathematicians. As poets, they wouldn't be doing any real harm.

Artistic license is out of place in mathematics.