Topic: Re: PARCC Definition of Trapezoid
Replies: 3   Last Post: May 3, 2013 8:07 PM

Ved Shravah

Re: PARCC Definition of Trapezoid
att1.html (11.3 K)

I am very surprised at this discussion. It is not up to some Math Professors in the U.S. to change the definition of Trapezoid. I have taught Mathematics for over 40 years and I have taught in different Countries and every where they have used the same definition for trapezoid that it has only one pair of parallel sides. Trapezoid is a very unique geometrical figure and is not a parallelogram.

Mathematics is an international language and by changing the definition of trapezoid, it will be only the U.S. having a different definition of trapezoid and the rest of the world will follow a different definition.

Ved Shravah
Mathematics Associate
Office of State Assessment
New York State Department of Education
89 Washington Avenue, Albany, New York
vshravah@mail.nysed.gov
518-408-1743

>>> Elise Teitelbaum <eet314@gmail.com> 5/1/2013 6:12 PM >>>
I have been teaching for almost 40 years and I too have seen one definition used in some text books while the other definition is used in others.

Do the test writers monitor this forum? (They should.) Are they aware of this problem? (They ought to be.) Are they aware enough to be sure that this issue does not cause one group of students using one definition to lose precious points on their test? (I sure hope so.) Am I confident that they will be careful about this? (NOPE!!)

How can we ensure that this will not be a problem on these all important upcoming exams?

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 6:00 PM, Roberta M. Eisenberg <bobbi610@me.com> wrote:

I started teaching in 1962, and the honors geometry class used a textbook that had that def. The regular geom. class had the usual def. It was confusing teaching both classes and remembering which def. to use in each class.

Bobbi Eisenberg

On May 1, 2013, at 5:36 PM, Robert Bieringer wrote:

The differences in the fundamental definition of a trapezoid, I believe date back to Zalman Usiskin at the University of Chicago. The work by Dr. Usiskin led to the University School Mathematics Project

[USMP] during the late 1960s into the 1970s and the "at least two parallel sides" definition, came out of those series of books. A reference I found just today, gives support to the point:
http://casmusings.wordpress.com/2012/04/01/defining-trapezoids/
Mr. Robert C. Bieringer
Director of Mathematics K-12
Bay Shore UFSD