Topic: warning display control
Replies: 2   Last Post: May 7, 2013 2:18 AM

Steven Lord

Re: warning display control

"Bruno Luong" <b.luong@fogale.findmycountry> wrote in message
> I would like to catch a warning,

Usually "catch" is used in the context of an error, not a warning. Do you
want MATLAB to stop executing and enter debug mode (or just stop executing
that function, no debug mode) when a warning is issued or do you simply want
to stop it from being displayed?

> but do not want MATLAB displaying the message on the screen.
> I read the doc of warning(), lastwarn(), try/catch, and still can't find a
> way to do it.
> Can someone give a hint.

If you want to prevent the warning from displaying, use WARNING with the
'off' flag and the identifier of the warning you want to silence. [Don't do
"warning off" on its own if you can avoid it; that's using a nuclear bomb to
kill a fly.]
If you want to enter debug mode when the warning is issued, use DBSTOP.

% begin stopOnWarning.m
function stopOnWarning

dbstop if warning MATLAB:plot:IgnoreImaginaryXYPart

x = 1:10;
y = sin(x)+1i*cos(x);
plot(x, y)
z = x+y;
% end stopOnWarning.m

If you wanted to stop execution if a particular warning is issued in a
particular place, look at LASTWARN and then just RETURN if the warning you
wanted to stop execution was issued.

Steve Lord