Topic: Matheology � 258
Replies: 53   Last Post: May 11, 2013 10:07 PM

Virgil

Re: Matheology 258

In article
<26149057-ce0c-4da2-895e-a7efe7ca5b20@h1g2000vbx.googlegroups.com>,
WM <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> On 9 Mai, 21:36, Virgil <vir...@ligriv.com> wrote:
> > In article
> > <b15d6323-e22a-4963-9519-e7f9e948e...@q8g2000vbl.googlegroups.com>,

> > How is
> >    "For all n: f(n) = 1 , lim_n-->oo f(n) = 1"
> > needed  to calculate  the differential quotient of f(x) = e^x at x = pi?

> It is necessary to calculate the differential quotient of functions
> like f(x) = ax + b.

It is not at all necessary, as many calculus texts manage quite nicely
to find the differential quotients of such linear functions without it.

> > It can ONLY be of any use in correctly calculating differential
> > quotients in the rare cases in which the difference quotients at a point
> > are all equal regardless of the differences in x.

> So it is. But even these "rare cases" belong to mathematics and have
> to be solved correctly.

I do not know of any such rare cases that cannot be solved much more
simply by ordinary difference quotiens,

> > I.e., when the delta-y over delta-x ratio is constant, as in linear
> > functions.
> >
> > So apparently WM never gets anywhere beyond the derivatives of linear
> > functions.

> That is not an admissible conclussion.

Why not? Your sequential arguments are like using sledgehammers to crack
eggs.

Give y = f(x) = a*x + b for all real x, and son point x = x_0
The difference quotient from x = x_0 to x = x_0 + h, for any h =\= 0 is
[f(x_0 + h) - f(x_0)]/[(x_0 + h) - (x_0)] =
[a*(x_0 + h) + b - a*x_0 - b]/h =
[a*h]/h =
a.
Since this is true for all non-zero real h,
it is also the limit as h -> 0.
No sequences needed.

Is that too difficult for your students, or just too difficult for you?
--

Date Subject Author
5/6/13
Read Re: Matheology � 258