Topic: Through[Divide[f1, f2][x]]
Replies: 2   Last Post: May 26, 2013 4:38 AM

Andrzej Kozlowski

Re: Through[Divide[f1, f2][x]]

On 25 May 2013, at 11:38, Andres Guzman =
<andres.guzman.fernandez@gmail.com> wrote:

> $Version
> 8.0 for Linux x86 (64-bit) (October 10, 2011)
>
> Through[Divide[f1, f2][x]]
> f1[x] (1/f2)[x]
>
> (* When what I want is: Divide[f1[x],f2[x]] . An uncomfortable =

consequence of the way Mathematica treats division.*)

> Divide[f1, f2] // FullForm
> Times[f1, Power[f2, -1]]

One way round this sort of problems is to Block Divide:

Block[{Divide}, Through[Divide[f1, f2][x]]]

f1[x]/f2[x]

Of course this involves extra typing but then if you wanted to save =
yourself typing you could have just typed f1[x]/f2[x].

Andrzej Kozlowski