Topic: Calculate angles, sides and areas for any regular polygon without
using trig functions and Pi

Replies: 9   Last Post: May 29, 2013 9:55 PM

JT

Re: Calculate angles, sides and areas for any regular polygon without
using trig functions and Pi

On 29 Maj, 05:09, JT <jonas.thornv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 29 Maj, 03:11, Ken Pledger <ken.pled...@vuw.ac.nz> wrote:
>

> > In article
> > <d6885fa1-3a34-4e7d-a18e-b85727a65...@w5g2000vbd.googlegroups.com>,

> >  JT <jonas.thornv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Do you think i could calculate all the angles in turns and the lengths
> > > of sides(perimeter) and area of any regular polygon without using
> > > trigonometric functions and Pi?

> > The perimeter of a regular hexagon  -  yes.
> > The perimeter of any other regular polygon  -  no.

> > The area of a square or regular dodecagon  -  yes.
> > The area of any other regular polygon  -  no.

> >    Ken Pledger.
>
> So even by doing it for a 12 sided regular polygon i would surprise
> you? You do realise that i can divide isoceles into right angled
> triangle, using hypotenuse length i can extend the opposite side of
> triangle and there will be a new right angled triangle formed with
> known opposite and adjacent side and using them we get the new side
> (it will be the hypotenuse). This we can do recursively for
> 6,12,24,48,96... and so on i hope your realise that. But we can also
> calculate the triangles calculate for 18 30 36 42.. and so on.
>
> And you did see 30 come up it will be handy since it will be used to
> calculate the perimeter for 5 sided polygon.
> I think i could write the program for multiples of hexagon in a day,
> doing all the others require some thought so maybe a week or a month.
> But it will be recursive solution so i expect when i solved it for 5,
> it will be solved for all other primes.

I think the maybe the triangle rather then the hexagon in the end will
be the base for the program i mean afterall 3,6,12,24,48,96