Topic: module overviews
Replies: 3   Last Post: May 30, 2013 11:12 AM

MARYBETH ROBINETTE

RE: module overviews

At the network team meeting, there was a document shared that had old Algebra vs new Algebra assessment questions. The packet is available on enageny.org. I have attached it for your information.

Marybeth

From: owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org [mailto:owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org] On Behalf Of Robert Rogers
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 9:33 PM
To: nyscollmath@mathforum.org
Cc: nyshsmath@mathforum.org; nysmsmath@mathforum.org; nyselmath@mathforum.org
Subject: Re: module overviews

Thanks for sending this Liz.

I was looking at question 2 of the mid-module assessment of the Algebra I. It reminded me of a thesis that a Master's student of ours did a number of years ago (probably 10 or so, if I'm thinking correctly). At the time, there was much talk about putting in more open ended questions in the eight grade assessment (back when it was only fourth and eighth grade). He wanted to know what made an open ended question a good one vs. a bad one and he introduced a lot of open ended questions to his seventh grade class. Basically, his main finding was that open ended questions (like the one from the mid-module assessment)) were great for initiating classroom discussion but often were not suitable for assessing as the state intended. Is the fact that this is a mid-module assessment mean that it is intended to be discussed in class? Don't get me wrong, I like the tenor of the question, but without a classroom discussion of the possible answers/explanations, I don't think it will be very successful.

Is this focus for a discussion what is intended with such questions? If so, is this clearly spelled out somewhere? Also, it seems that if it is, then we have a lot of work ahead in terms of professional development as this would be a substantial paradigm shift.

Any thoughts on this? Please let me know if I am missing something.

Bob
On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 6:26 PM, Liz Waite <elizwaite@aol.com<mailto:elizwaite@aol.com>> wrote:
Hi everyone-
I'm not sure how many of you have seen these, but some of the module overviews and module assessments have been released on engageny. Very interesting reading. In algebra, for example, check out the assessment tasks. Hopefully the lessons attached to the modules and more of the module overviews will be released this summer.

http://www.engageny.org/resource/network-team-institute-materials-may-13-16-2013-math-6-12-curriculum-materials

Liz
Elizabeth Waite
AMTNYS Coordinator of Reps