The Math Forum

Topic: platforms for educational software
Replies: 15   Last Post: Jun 26, 2013 6:17 PM

Michael Mossey

Re: platforms for educational software

> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 8:52 PM, Michael Mossey
> <michaelmossey@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > I'm developing some math educational software aimed
> at high school kids in
> > algebra, and I'm wondering what the most important
> platforms are: Windows,
> > Mac, IOS (iPad, iPhone), or Android.
> >

> I would start by questioning the assumption that
> running cross-platform
> should be a high priority.

Thank you, that is a good point.

> Plus you've not mentioned Linux. Many teens I know,
> including my daughter,
> are least enamored of closed source options even
> though they use Windows,
> Mac and LInux.

Another good point. Linux is probably the easiest platform to use, given my current knowledge and the available GUI toolkits.

> There's a huge world out there with literally
> millions of people already
> writing tablet apps, as you know.
>
> I personally don't see a problem with committing to
> one tablet or tablet
> family in particular and enjoying enough of a niche
> to feel rewarded, both
> monetarily (if that's a goal) and philanthropically
> (in terms of helping
> future humans learn their Al-Jabr or whatever).

Yeah, considering the millions of free educational apps it's not a great money-making field, at least by direct software sales, unless I can really stand out.

The main goal is not to make money but to enhance my value as a tutor, by being able to spend the relatively small in-person time training the person on the software, and giving them a chance to drill on their own time.

My very first student was extremely motivated and did plenty on her own time, but she struggled with math, so "her own time" was not very productive or focused. This could have made the difference, I think.

Plus I used to work as a programmer, so it's a natural fit.

I also plan to use the software to help me create educational videos and put them on youtube. Some of the same code, for showing and animating equations, will be useful both as an educational app and as an animation package (if I'm careful how I design it). Again, not to make money, but to enhance my value as a tutor and promote myself.

It's an interesting field, math teaching---a huge demand in the sense every kid in the country is a potential customer, but a field that also has a huge supply of millions of teachers and apps. The teachers and apps represent many divergent points of view about how math should be taught.

I think my niche is going to be helping students whose thinking style is not adaptive to math, .. i.e. students who struggle or have learning "disorders" although I don't like the word "disorder."

>From reviewing the free math games and apps on the web, it looks like everything is aimed at students who have a secure facility up to some level, and the app takes them to the next level. But what of students who don't feel secure in anything? Perhaps I can find an underserved niche.

Mike