Topic: solve help
Replies: 4   Last Post: Jun 24, 2013 10:59 AM

ZACHARY HULL

Re: solve help

"Nasser M. Abbasi" wrote in message <kq50a0$i4h$1@speranza.aioe.org>...
> On 6/22/2013 12:54 PM, ZACHARY HULL wrote:
>

> > (script)
> > syms t
> > t = linspace(0,pi,200);
> > ft = exp(sin(t));
> > tf = solve(ft,t)
> >
> > result =
> > Error using message
> > In 'symbolic:solve:errmsg1', parameter {1} must be a scalar.
> > Error in solve>processString (line 354)

> > Any help you all can provide would be appreciated! Thanks!
> >

> I have no idea at all really what is it you are trying to do,
>
> In what you wrote, ft is just a list of numbers. So you are
> asking solve to do this solve(list_of_numbers==0,t).
>
> But if you are trying to find solution to exp(x)==0
> then there is no solution.
>
> What value of 't' you think will make exp(sin(t)) zero?
> sin(t) is between -1 and +1. So, just plot exp() between these
> 2 values and you'll see it is not zero.
>
> You have to go to -infinity and beyond to have any luck of
> making exp() in the limit go to zero.
>
> --Nasser

I am using the solve function to solve the equation ft for t

clc, clear;
syms t ft
ft = exp(sin(t));
solve(ft,t)

However, the result of this ^^^ is as follows:

Warning: Explicit solution could not be found.
> In solve at 179
ans =
[ empty sym ]

I don't want to solve the equation for a value, but a variable. I want the equation t with respect to ft. Is this any clearer now?