Topic: Re: Automatic Mathematica Updates?
Replies: 3   Last Post: Jun 25, 2013 2:52 AM

Andrzej Kozlowski

On 24 Jun 2013, at 04:55, Roland Franzius <roland.franzius@uos.de> wrote:

> Am 22.06.2013 09:28, schrieb djmpark:
>> Is such an automatic update possible? If so, are there some settings that
>> are necessary? Is "local install with license server" any different than
>> regular user installation?
>>

>> David Park
>> djmpark@comcast.net
>> http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/index.html
>>

>> From: Roland Franzius [mailto:roland.franzius@uos.de]
>>

>> Remains to be noted that suddenly today in the morning my Mathematica 8
>> (local install with license server) seems to have been updated over the
>> internet with respect to this integral.

> Of course, if you have activated internet access and automatic updates
> in the preferences tab/Access to Internet/Wolfram Alpha.
>
> Test:
>
> It is working even on sundays (23.6, 4.00 UTC)
> and now we get a reasonable result in an acceptable time.
>
> In[21]:=
> Timing[ Integrate[
> Sin[x/2]^2/x^2/(x^2 - 4 \[Pi]^2)/(x^2 +
> b^2)^2, {x, -\[Infinity], \[Infinity]}, Assumptions -> b > 0]]
>
> Out[21]= {32.074, -((
> b^5 + 2 b^2 (-5 + 4 b) \[Pi]^2 + 8 (-3 + 2 b) \[Pi]^4 +
> 2 E^-b \[Pi]^2 (b^2 (5 + b) + 4 (3 + b) \[Pi]^2))/(
> 8 b^5 \[Pi] (b^2 + 4 \[Pi]^2)^2))}
>
> --
>
> Roland Franzius

I can confirm that this indeed works with regular user installation (Mathematica 9.01). Thanks a lot - it's quite a discovery and, I think, it (probably) renders obsolete many of the complaints concerning WRI's update policies that have appeared in the past on this forum.
I, at least, am impressed.

Andrzej Kozlowski