Topic: changing the default startup folder for MATLAB on Mac
Replies: 6   Last Post: Jul 12, 2013 6:50 AM

robert bristow-johnson

Re: changing the default startup folder for MATLAB on Mac

On Wednesday, July 3, 2013 12:12:10 PM UTC-7, someone wrote:
> rbj@audioimagination.com wrote in message <d3c4931a-1e71-4f9d-80cc-138e13ecc303@googlegroups.com>...
>

> > so the outa-box default is /Users/a_specific_user/Documents/MATLAB
>

> > i remember when installing it asked me about this and i said okay about the default believing that i could easily change it later.
>

> > this page is no help whatsoever:
>

> > http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/matlab_env/changing-the-startup-folder.html
>

> > nor is this page:
>

> > http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/matlab_env/startup-options.html
>

> I'm not sure why this page is of no help whatsoever. It says:
>

> On all platforms, you can also specify startup options using a MATLAB startup file?see Specifying Startup Options in the MATLAB Startup File
>

> and that section of the page says:
>

> Specifying Startup Options in the MATLAB Startup File
>

> At startup, MATLAB automatically executes the file matlabrc.m and, if it exists, startup.m. The file matlabrc.m, which is in the matlabroot/toolbox/local folder, is reserved for use by MathWorks® and by the system manager on multiuser systems.
>

> The file startup.m is for you to specify startup options. For example, you can modify the default search path, predefine variables in your workspace, or define defaults for Handle Graphics® objects. Use the following statements in a startup.m file to add the specified folder, /home/username/mytools, to the search path, and to change the current folder to mytools upon startup.
>

> addpath /home/username/mytools
>
> cd /home/username/mytools
>

> Place the startup.m file in the default or current startup folder, which is where MATLAB first looks for it. For more information, see MATLAB Startup Folder.
>

> Have you tried this option? If so, what happened?

there is no file startup.m on my Mac at all, and i have been using this particular MATLAB product for 2 weeks.

and i don't want that current startup folder to exist at all. i moved it, and now MATLAB re-creates it every time i start up.

r b-j