Topic: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Replies: 32   Last Post: Jul 7, 2013 9:03 PM

Louis Talman

Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
att1.html (3.7 K)

On Fri, 05 Jul 2013 23:20:40 -0600, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Jul 5, 2013, at 11:47 PM, "Louis Talman" <talmanl@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> It wasn't until I took my first calculus course as a freshman in
>> college that I encountered real concern about >>proofs and derivations.
>> I was fortunate in that my professors there made proofs and derivations
>> about half of their >>calculus sequence---all four semesters of it. And
>> they examined us on those proofs and derivations, not only in >>the
>> calculus sequence, but in the junior and senior comprehensive exams all
>> math majors had to pass in order to >>be graduated.

> I meant to ask, do you think this is common today in college?

I think it was uncommon then in college. And is still uncommon today.

I did my graduate work at the University of Kansas, probably a second tier
school in mathematics. While there, I had a half-time appointment,
teaching lower division courses. Their calculus sequence was much
different from the one I had taken, and much like the ones taught at the
colleges and universities where I've held appointments since. Plus ca
change, plus c'est la meme chose.

>> (Many of my colleagues during that first calculus sequence would not
>> have agreed that any of this proof-and->>derivation business was
>> "fortunate"; a substantial fraction of them show themselves to be
>> completely at sea at >>that business.)

> What happened to those students? Did they swim or sink?

At mathematics, most of them sank. And those people found
non-mathematical things to pursue. (Here I include physics, which
doesn't, as a rule, take a deep interest in the structure of
mathematics---only in what it will do for them.)

--
--Louis A. Talman
Metropolitan State University of Denver

<http://rowdy.msudenver.edu/~talmanl>

Date Subject Author
7/4/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Clyde Greeno
7/4/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Robert Hansen
7/4/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Joe Niederberger
7/4/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
GS Chandy
7/4/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Robert Hansen
7/5/13
[...]
7/6/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of
logic?
Wayne Bishop
7/6/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Robert Hansen
7/6/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Robert Hansen
7/7/13
[...]
Jonathan Crabtree
7/5/13