Topic: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
Replies: 27   Last Post: Jul 8, 2013 9:56 PM

LudovicoVan

From: London
Registered: 2/8/08
Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols

"fom" <fomJUNK@nyms.net> wrote in message
> On 7/7/2013 5:02 PM, Julio Di Egidio wrote:
>> "fom" <fomJUNK@nyms.net> wrote in message

>>> Well, I had been thinking in terms of the
>>> fact that experience has an unavoidable
>>> subjective sense. It invariably admits the
>>> reduction of linguistic expressions to mere
>>> syntax. But, it is also the subjective
>>> experience that affords meaningful interpretation.

>> I do not see how linguistic expression (language) can be reduced to
>> syntax: a sign is not a symbol, the magic is all in the interpreter.

> Two different individuals with two different
> subjective experiences may interpret linguistic
> expressions differently.

Nope, language is a mutual thing per definition (well, the one I am giving),
where private language is a limit case.

> In like fashion, there is the Fregean argument
> that any mark can signify.

An argument perfectly in line with the enslavement to mechanical
signification... I've never liked it.

> There are a great many aspects to pragmatics
> involved with meaning. Carnap is attributed
> with delineating syntax, semantics, and pragmatics.
>
> Agreements as to the fact that an expression is
> well-formed and that particular well-formed
> expressions have particular meanings are matters
> which fall into the domain of pragmatics.

Carnap has done interesting things in linguistics, but I think pragmatics is
properly about a distinction within semantics. Anyway, I do not see
considerations of pragmatics conflicting with my various theses.

>>> It is in the transition from subjective to
>>> objective where all of the difficulties seem to
>>> arise.

>> We have already spoken about these seeming difficulties: what
>> "objectivity" I would ask? I.e. same cart before the horses.

> Then I must assume you choose to be a
> Humean skeptic.

I laugh at Hume. I am just saying we are back to where we were.

Julio

Date Subject Author
7/5/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
fom
7/5/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
fom
7/6/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
7/7/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
Peter Percival
7/7/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
fom
7/8/13
[...]
apoorv
7/7/13