Topic: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Replies: 10   Last Post: Jul 9, 2013 4:09 AM

Wayne Bishop

Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of
logic?

At 08:33 AM 7/8/2013, Joe Niederberger wrote:

>I see. One day you sat down and wrote up the truth table for p -> q
>all by yourself. Then you added in a few more connectives, and set
>about proving soundness and completeness. Good job! We'll just clone
>your logic gene and achieve propagation that way.

Truth table validity for p -> q is NOT intuitive nor does anybody
bother with it in normal mathematical proof; you assume p and confirm
q, let alone informal usage.

By contrast, you have to be carefully taught to give a T to "If all
dogs are white, then my dog is black" because the antecedent is false.

Wayne