Topic: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
Replies: 27   Last Post: Jul 8, 2013 9:56 PM

fom

Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols

On 7/8/2013 7:07 PM, Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz wrote:
> In <S42dnXXbbOzYOETMnZ2dnUVZ_sadnZ2d@giganews.com>, on 07/07/2013
> at 12:28 PM, fom <fomJUNK@nyms.net> said:
>

>> Coming from one who slipped in a few references
>> to New Foundations in other threads, this is surprising.

> NF is somewhat out of the mainstream, albeit interesting. I'm
> wondering what the people who start from Category Theory do about
> cardinals and ordinals.

Good question.

I have worked out many of my questions
with respect to classical logic and set
theory. It is probably time to tackle
category theory.

In spite of its apparently simple formulations,
its history arises out of algebraic topology.
So, it will be a lot of work. It has been a
while since I looked at that subject.

>> So, if one asks "What is a number?"
>
> I'd answer "Whatever it is productive to call a number." I certainly
> don't take issue with the nomenclature "Cayley Number".

That is an entirely different can of worms. :-)

I spent a great deal of time trying to
understand the origin of "undefined
language primitives". Part of that story
is the introduction of arithmetical
systems such as the complex numbers and
the quaternions. It is the beginnings
of universal algebra and model theory.

Date Subject Author
7/5/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
fom
7/5/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
fom
7/6/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
7/7/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
Peter Percival
7/7/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
fom
7/8/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
7/8/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
fom
7/5/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
fom
7/5/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
fom
7/6/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
LudovicoVan
7/6/13
[...]
apoorv
7/7/13