Topic: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
Replies: 24   Last Post: Jul 27, 2013 12:38 PM

Aatu Koskensilta

Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols

dullrich@sprynet.com writes:

> Sigh. Taking 'describable' to mean 'describable (definable?) by any
> String of symbols' makes no sense! Symbols don't mean anything - it's
> impossible to use a string of symbols to describe anything.

As you say, we must assign some meaning to a string of symbols for it
to describe anything. There is no well-defined totality of "all possible
meanings" a string or a set of strings could have, just as there is no
well-defined totality of "all possible works of art" or "all possible
attitudes to life" or "all meaningful English sentences", and
consequently no well-defined totality of all definable or describable
ordinals. For a language with a mathematically defined semantics -- such
as given by a truth definition for the language of set theory, analysis,
arithmetic, ... -- there is such a totality, but, provided we accept the
definition as legitimate, we can always move to a more expressive
language, e.g. by introducing a truth predicate.

--
Aatu Koskensilta (aatu.koskensilta@uta.fi)

"Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen"

Date Subject Author
7/10/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
Aatu Koskensilta
7/10/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
David C. Ullrich
7/10/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
Sandy
7/10/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
fom
7/12/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
apoorv
7/15/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
fom
7/16/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
7/19/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
apoorv
7/19/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
fom
7/20/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
apoorv
7/20/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
Peter Percival
7/20/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
apoorv
7/21/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
apoorv
7/21/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
apoorv
7/21/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
fom
7/22/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
apoorv
7/22/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
fom
7/23/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
apoorv
7/23/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
apoorv
7/24/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
apoorv
7/27/13