Topic: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Replies: 33   Last Post: Jul 19, 2013 10:22 PM

Victor Porton

Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize

Dave L. Renfro wrote:

> Dave L. Renfro wrote:

>>> Saharon Shelah has not won an Abel prize and he seems to fit the
>>> above description better than Victor Porton. Let's say I want
>>> to nominate someone. Why should I nominate Porton instead of Shelah?

> Victor Porton wrote:

>> For me to receive the prize is more important than for Shelah:
>>
>> 1. I have no scientific degree (for some subtle reasons which I am not
>> going to explain here I've left study in university not finishing it). A
>> prize would for me be a pass to academic circles as a replacement for a
>> scientific degree, so that I would become allowed such things as speaking
>> at scientific conferences. Shelah on the other hand already has a
>> reputation and does probably not need to advance it further.
>>
>> 2. I've conducted some excellent research but right now I am stuck not
>> knowing how to continue it. (Especially, I don't know how to prove the
>> following important conjecture: the category of (proximally) continuous
>> functions between endo-funcoids has direct products and moreover is
>> cartesian closed.) My recognition would welcome other mathematicians to
>> continue my work which as for now I am unable to continue myself.
>>
>> 3. I need to work as a programmer to have enough money. Prize money would
>> help me to stop working for a boss and switch to that kinds of work which
>> I myself consider more important. No such trouble with Shelah.

> I think you misunderstand the purpose of the Abel prize. The Abel prize
> is not intended to motivate and assist the winner in pursuing future
> mathematical research, but rather it is intended to recognize already
> existing mathematical achievement. The reasons you give argue for being
> awarded a research grant or something like the MacArthur Fellows Program
> (for U.S. citizens and U.S. residents only).

I don't misunderstand the purpose of the Abel Prize. I just note that
despite of having this purpose it can help other purposes too.

It seems for me like that the research I've already accomplished may be
probably enough to get the prize, but there are also directions for future
research.

I'm not a US citizen. I am a double Russian/Israel citizen.

> http://www.macfound.org/programs/fellows/
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacArthur_Fellows_Program
>
> By the way, you do not need a scientific degree to speak at some
> scientific conferences. For example, I've given talks at several
> MAA conferences and I'm pretty sure the only requirement was to
> be a member, which itself doesn't require a degree. (I joined
> back in January 1974 when I was a 1st year high school student.)
> In fact, I think you may not even have to be a member, at least
> if you pay a relatively small fee (small compared to traveling
> costs, even if you only have to drive 100 miles to the conference).

I've sent my proposal to the topology section of Israel Mathematical Union
annual meeting and was not accepted because nobody recommends me.

--
Victor Porton - http://portonvictor.org

Date Subject Author
7/15/13
Read Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/16/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
William Elliot
7/16/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/16/13
Read Balhtam nominates you for the fake Nobel in funconomics
Brian Q. Hutchings
7/16/13
Read Re: Balhtam nominates you for the fake Nobel in funconomics
Victor Porton
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
William Elliot
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
William Elliot
7/18/13
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
7/16/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/16/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
7/16/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
William Elliot
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
grei
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
William Elliot
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Dave L. Renfro
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Dave L. Renfro
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
7/17/13
Read please don't nominate me for TetrahedronometrY; thank YoU
Brian Q. Hutchings
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Jens Stuckelberger
7/18/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Peter Percival
7/19/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
FredJeffries@gmail.com
7/19/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/19/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
7/19/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
fom
7/19/13