Topic: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Replies: 33   Last Post: Jul 19, 2013 10:22 PM

magidin@math.berkeley.edu

Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize

On Wednesday, July 17, 2013 4:17:08 PM UTC-5, Victor Porton wrote:
> Arturo Magidin wrote:
>

> > Or perhaps because you could not communicate effectively? I mean, if the
>
> > writing I've seen from you so far is any indication, I would not accept a
>
> > submission for a special session from you either, just on the basis of
>
> > "huh? if this person speaks like (s)he writes, that's a wasted slot."
>

> Dear Arturo,
>

> Could you elaborate what exactly you mean saying that I am a bad writer?
>

> Do you mean that my English is bad? (equally for mathematical and not
>
> mathematical writings)

No.

> Or am I bad specifically in explaining my mathematics, even despite of my
>
> usage of grammatically good English?

Your attempts at exposition are confused, poorly motivated, confusing, and in general what I've seen of your mathematical writing is poor. Even in this thread, you've attempted to give definitions in which you say things are "basically" something instead of providing a precise and simple definition, and when backed into providing a precise definition, it includes explanatory clauses in the middle of the definition. Not the best way to present either.

> Answering these questions and additional explanation from you, what exactly
>
> you mean saying that I am a bad writer, would be probably helpful.

I'm sure they would; however, I happen to value my time.

> Please
>
> specify it in as much details as possible (and you have time to explain).

My time is a little too valuable to spend that way. Unless, of course, you want to actually hire me and pay me what my time would be worth for teaching you to write mathematics. I doubt it, though; you'd have to pay me quite a bit to engage on that particular likely thankless task. I'm not here to do you favors. I'm simply trying to disabuse you of the notion that you are going about things in a reasonable way.

Writing mathematics well is not easy; it takes effort, it takes talent, and it takes a *lot* of work. It's no shame that you don't do it well: few people do. Then again, few people think they deserve the Abel prize on nothing but their say-so.

--
Arturo Magidin

Date Subject Author
7/15/13
Read Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/16/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
William Elliot
7/16/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/16/13
Read Balhtam nominates you for the fake Nobel in funconomics
Brian Q. Hutchings
7/16/13
Read Re: Balhtam nominates you for the fake Nobel in funconomics
Victor Porton
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
William Elliot
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
William Elliot
7/18/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/16/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
7/16/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/16/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
7/16/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
William Elliot
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
grei
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
William Elliot
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Dave L. Renfro
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Dave L. Renfro
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
7/17/13
Read please don't nominate me for TetrahedronometrY; thank YoU
Brian Q. Hutchings
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Jens Stuckelberger
7/18/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Peter Percival
7/19/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
FredJeffries@gmail.com
7/19/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/19/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
7/19/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
fom
7/19/13