Drexel dragonThe Math ForumDonate to the Math Forum



Search All of the Math Forum:

Views expressed in these public forums are not endorsed by Drexel University or The Math Forum.


Math Forum » Discussions » sci.math.* » sci.math

Topic: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Replies: 33   Last Post: Jul 19, 2013 10:22 PM

Advanced Search

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List Jump to Tree View Jump to Tree View   Messages: [ Previous | Next ]
magidin@math.berkeley.edu

Posts: 11,155
Registered: 12/4/04
Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Posted: Jul 19, 2013 10:22 PM
  Click to see the message monospaced in plain text Plain Text   Click to reply to this topic Reply

On Friday, July 19, 2013 8:33:02 PM UTC-5, Victor Porton wrote:
> FredJeffries wrote:
>
>
>

> > On Monday, July 15, 2013 10:26:18 AM UTC-7, Victor Porton wrote:
>
> >> Hi all,
>
> >
>
> >> I have written the book "Algebraic General Topology. Volume 1" with a
>
> >> wholly new approach to general topology.
>
> >> Currently the book is available online in PDF form:
>
> >> http://www.mathematics21.org/binaries/volume-1.pdf
>
> >
>
> >> The book is accessible even for beginning students (the only prerequisite
>
> >> is basic set theory).
>
> >
>
> >> It is under peer review of a mathematics publisher now.
>
> >
>
> >> Please nominate me for Abel Prize thanks to my authorship of this book
>
> >> which revolutionizes general topology.
>
> >
>
> > What problems have you been able to solve using your techniques?
>
>
>
> Abel Prize is given not only for solving old problems, but also for:
>
>
>
> "created powerful new techniques, introduced unifying principles or opened
>
> up major new fields of research."
>
>
>
> My work hash created powerful new techniques, introduced unifying principles
>
> and opened up major new fields of research.


Evidence that a technique is powerful would be required beyond your appreciation thereof. Acceptable evidence that a technique is powerful is usually in the form of new proofs of old results that provide particular insight that allows stronger results to be proven, and most especially **solving problems that previous techniques were unable to solve**.

Evidence of "opening up major new fields of research" is required beyond your appreciation and speculation. Acceptable evidence that a technique has "opened up major new fields of research" usually consists of *actual evidence in the form of work by others* in these new fields, and not merely the promise that such fields have been "opened" with no follow-up.

You really are clueless.


> As for now, my research has not lead to solving any pre-existing open
>
> problems.



Therefore, there is no evidence that it contains any "powerful techniques" at all.

> But it is quite natural as my research is in a very child
>
> (preliminary) stage.



Therefore, it cannot have opened any new fields to research, seeing as how it is still in its infancy.

> Before using my research to solve some pre-existing open problems, we need
>
> to work on continuation of my research itself.


That means that your research is not mature enough to evaluate it to the level you claim it has achieved. Thus, you yourself provide the evidence that your claims regarding your research and its value are useless and unwarranted. As such, you yourself provide the necessary arguments to reject your claim to an Abel prize at present.

In short: hoisted by your own petard. Now shut up.


--
Arturo Magidin


Date Subject Author
7/15/13
Read Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/16/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
William Elliot
7/16/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/16/13
Read Balhtam nominates you for the fake Nobel in funconomics
Brian Q. Hutchings
7/16/13
Read Re: Balhtam nominates you for the fake Nobel in funconomics
Victor Porton
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
William Elliot
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
William Elliot
7/18/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/16/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
7/16/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/16/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
7/16/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
William Elliot
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
grei
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
William Elliot
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Dave L. Renfro
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Dave L. Renfro
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
7/17/13
Read please don't nominate me for TetrahedronometrY; thank YoU
Brian Q. Hutchings
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Jens Stuckelberger
7/18/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Peter Percival
7/19/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
FredJeffries@gmail.com
7/19/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/19/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
7/19/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
fom
7/19/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in this topic.

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

© Drexel University 1994-2014. All Rights Reserved.
The Math Forum is a research and educational enterprise of the Drexel University School of Education.