Topic: Sad News About Al Bartlett
Replies: 3   Last Post: Jul 28, 2013 7:05 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Sad News About Al Bartlett

Richard Hake posted Jul 26, 2013 4:18 AM:

> Some subscribers to Math-Teach might be interested in
> a recent post
> "Sad News About Al Bartlett" [Hake (2013)]. The
> abstract reads:
>
> Al Bartlett
> <http://bit.ly/19jfGEU> wrote that his non-Hodgkins
> Lymphoma,
> previously dormant, has returned such that doctors
> give him "30 days,
> plus or minus."

<snip>
It is with the greatest of regret (and profound sorrow) that I read of the recurrence of Al Bartlett's lymphoma affliction.

I recall that, when I first came across Bartlett's work (via a post of yours at Math-teach, I believe), I was profoundly impressed by his saying:

> "The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our
> inability to understand the exponential function."
> - A.A. Bartlett

In that sentence, he has memorably captured everything that is wrong with our (human) growth model.

Is there a way of setting things right? Given that the human population is already in excess of 7 billion today, and that it is likely to cross 10 billion very soon, any such optimism may only be a faint hope.

More in due course.

GSC
A couple more memorable sayings from Al Bartlett (as quoted by Richard Hake):