The Math Forum

Topic: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
Replies: 40   Last Post: Aug 2, 2013 5:27 PM

JT

Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius

Den torsdagen den 1:e augusti 2013 kl. 04:30:12 UTC+2 skrev William Elliot:

> > > Given a regular n sided polygon, with distance from center to the vertices
>
> > > of r, the length of one side is 2r.sin pi/n and the total length of all the
>
> > > sides is 2rn.sin pi/n =
>
> > > Now lim(n->oo) 2r.pi.(sin pi/n)/(pi/n)
>
> > > = lim(n->oo) 2r.pi.(sin pi/n)/(pi/n) = 2pi.r
>
> > > For n = 6, sin pi/6 = 1/2, so 2*6r(1/2) = 6r is a crude first approximation
>
> > > for the circumference of a circle of radius r, giving approximately 3 for pi.
>
> > Well if you iterate in a loop double up the vertices you do a lot better
>
> > then 3, smooth.
>
> You go iterate off to a computer newsgroup. This is math newsgroup.
>
> Use lim(n->oo) 2^(n+1)r.pi.(sin pi/2^n) and don't be so dumb as to
>
> limp around on a google goose. Get a real bird to fly the newsgroups.
>

> pi = lim(n->oo) n.sin pi/n = lim(n->oo) 6*2^n sin pi/6*2^n

You guys should get aware that the ancient never used zero in their bases, when playing with continued fractions.

The reason is mainly because zero is not a natural number, it turns out it is not a fraction. It turns out it is a numerical waste of time.

Date Subject Author
7/30/13
Read Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
7/30/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
7/30/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
Peter Percival
7/30/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
7/30/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
Richard Tobin
7/30/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
7/30/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
Peter Percival
7/30/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
7/30/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
7/30/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
7/30/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
7/31/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
William Elliot
7/31/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
7/31/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
Peter Percival
7/31/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
William Elliot
8/1/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
8/1/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
8/1/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
Virgil
8/1/13
[...]
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
8/1/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
Virgil
8/2/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
8/2/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
8/2/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
Virgil
8/2/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
8/2/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
Virgil
8/2/13
Read ApiKindOnew
Brian Q. Hutchings
8/2/13
Read prove sixness of sphere volume vis-a-vu diameter
Brian Q. Hutchings
8/2/13