The Math Forum

Topic: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
Replies: 40   Last Post: Aug 2, 2013 5:27 PM

JT

Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius

Den fredagen den 2:e augusti 2013 kl. 01:37:42 UTC+2 skrev Virgil:
> In article <51fae08d$49$fuzhry+tra$mr2ice@news.patriot.net>,
>
> Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz <spamtrap@library.lspace.org.invalid> wrote:
>

> > In <virgil-7D1E4A.15192201082013@BIGNEWS.USENETMONSTER.COM>, on
>
> > 08/01/2013
>
> > at 03:19 PM, Virgil <virgil@ligriv.com> said:

> > >They did things "the correct way" so throughly, that they
>
> > >couldn't even find the length of the diagagonals of a unit square.
>

> > WTF? See, e.g.,
>
> > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_mathematics#Greek_mathematics>,
>
> > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_root_of_2#Continued_fraction_representati
>
> > on>
>

> To the Pythagoreans, the diagonal of the unit square was an
>
> incommesurable, not a number.
>
> --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndN_5IrPOhc

Date Subject Author
7/30/13
Read Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
7/30/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
7/30/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
Peter Percival
7/30/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
7/30/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
Richard Tobin
7/30/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
7/30/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
Peter Percival
7/30/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
7/30/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
7/30/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
7/30/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
7/31/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
William Elliot
7/31/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
7/31/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
Peter Percival
7/31/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
William Elliot
8/1/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
8/1/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
8/1/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
Virgil
8/1/13
[...]
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
8/1/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
Virgil
8/2/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
8/2/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
8/2/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
Virgil
8/2/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
8/2/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
Virgil
8/2/13
Read ApiKindOnew
Brian Q. Hutchings
8/2/13
Read prove sixness of sphere volume vis-a-vu diameter
Brian Q. Hutchings
8/2/13