Topic: if statement
Replies: 3   Last Post: Aug 20, 2013 12:48 PM

Steven Lord

Re: if statement

"Roger Stafford" <ellieandrogerxyzzy@mindspring.com.invalid> wrote in
message news:kv03b8$mcl$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com...
> "S C.Carl" wrote in message <kuvtvb$gv5$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
>> a =
>> 0.0188
>> b =
>> 0.0188

> - - - - - - - - -
> The fact that the 'format short' displays of a and b are the same doesn't
> mean that a and b are equal. That display is rounded off to four decimal
> places and they could very easily be unequal. I suggest you try 'format
> hex' on them.

Or just execute:

difference = a-b

For == to say that they are the same, difference must be EXACTLY 0 (ignoring
nonfinite and nondouble edge cases involving saturation.) Close doesn't
count here; == is neither horseshoes nor hand grenades. In this case
difference will likely be a small number, but not exactly 0.

--
Steve Lord
slord@mathworks.com