Topic: System of 1D PDEs with coupled boundary conditions
Replies: 5   Last Post: Aug 23, 2013 5:26 AM

Luminita T.

Re: System of 1D PDEs with coupled boundary conditions

"Torsten" wrote in message <kv70bl$1pq$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> "Luminita T." wrote in message <kv5999$7e0$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...

> > > Usually, the boundary condition for equation i refers directly to the flux defined in equation.
> > > Thus if f for equation i is given as
> > > f(i)=a*du1/dx + b*du2/dx + c*du3/dx,
> > > you simply have to put
> > > p(i)=0 and q(i)=1
> > > to define the boundary condition
> > > a*du1/dx + b*du2/dx + c*du3/dx = 0.
> > >
> > > Best wishes
> > > Torsten.

> > Hmm, my normal flux functions are f(1) = a1*du1/dx; f(2) = a2*du2/dx, etc. Separate terms. But then maybe I can introduce a "fake" or "helper" equation to have this new flux to use in the boundary condition.

> Or if you have flux boundary conditions for all three variables at a common endpoint,
> you can solve for the separate boundary conditions, e.g.
> a1*du1/dx = flux1
> a2*du2/dx = flux2
> a1*du1/dx + a2*du2/dx + a3*du3/dx = 0
> gives
> a3*du3/dx = -flux1 - flux2
>
> Best wishes
> Torsten.

I'm very happy to try again with pdepe() and not having to dig into the pdetool(). Hopefully it will all work by next week.

Yes - the flux boundary conditions for the three variables are at a common endpoint. (Actually the u() functions have originally different domains, but this can be solved by a change of variable, and luckily the transformation allows also to the match the boundary endpoints)

I haven't really understood the last suggestion though. The general boundary equation form is

p(x,t,u) + q(x,t).*f(x,t,u,dx/du) = 0

where the q() vector function is only element wise multiplied with the f(x,t,u,dx/du) flux vector. Thus I don't see how I can write

a3*du3/dx = -flux1 - flux2

as a boundary condition.

best regards
Luminita