Topic: Algebra 2 Failure?
Replies: 3   Last Post: Sep 11, 2013 7:40 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Algebra 2 Failure?
Goad.odt (19.5 K)

Robert Hansen (RH) posted Sep 5, 2013 10:00 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2597569):

> They just figured out that all these kids taking
> Algebra 2 aren't actually taking (or succeeding) at
> Algebra 2.
>
> http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/curriculum/2013/09/alge
> bra_2_not_the_same_credential_it_used_to_be.html
>
> This is why we have to have standardized and peer
> referenced tests.
>
> Bob Hansen

I have not yet read the blog you have linked to, but I shall do that instanter (if my Internet connection stays OK).

I don't know whether 'standardized' or 'peer-referenced' tests would do the trick to prevent failure at Algebra2.

I'd suspect the underlying reason for the students having failed Algebra2 was that they were being PUSHED, or even GOADED, where they should have been ENCOURAGED. A little ENCOURAGEMENT might have done the trick.

(See attachment for picture of GOAD. I was fortunately never GOADED when I was in school, but I would imagine that it could not ever have been a very pleasant experience, and that it couldn't have been at all conducive to enhance the 'learning process'. Of course, there are still some of our philosophers who persist in doing this GOADING to facilitate learning by their wards - but I believe this is a philosophy that's profoundly in error).

GSC
("Still Shoveling! Not PUSHING! Not GOADING!")