Topic: The NRC Finally Comes to Its Senses on Improving STEM Education
Replies: 1   Last Post: Sep 19, 2013 2:29 PM

Alain Schremmer

Re: The NRC Finally Comes to Its Senses on Improving STEM Education

On Sep 19, 2013, at 11:54 AM, Richard Hake wrote:

> Some subscribers to MathEdCC might be interested in a recent post
> "The NRC Finally Comes to Its Senses on Improving STEM Education."
> The abstract reads:
>
> ***************************************
>
> ABSTRACT: Kevin Kiley (2013) in his "Inside Higher Ed" review <http://bit.ly/1bri3GP

> > of Robert Zemsky's (2013) "Checklist for Change" <http://bit.ly/188VYrx
> > reports that in an interview Zemsky said that (a) among the

> questions his book answers is "Why haven?t we changed?" and (b) a
> major impediment to change is "a disengaged faculty resistant to
> change."
>
> As I indicated in a previous comment [Hake (2013) <http://bit.ly/1a189YT

> > ] on Zemsky's book, I've noticed Zemsky's derogation of faculty
> before. In "NRC's CUSE: Stranded on Assessless Island?" [Hake
> (2013)] at <http://bit.ly/184OVC4> ] I stated that Zemsky had
> "missed the boat with respect to the potential reform of
> undergraduate education through education research by disciplinary
> experts as monitored by rigorous pre/post testing [being] in the
> good company of CUSE (Committee on Undergraduate Education) [McCray,
> et al. (2003) at <http://bit.ly/y6cFAG> ], and its workshop
> participants."
>
> Fortunately, the NRC APPEARS TO HAVE FINALLY COME TO ITS SENSES ON
> IMPROVING STEM EDUCATION. I'm too modest to mention that on p. 35 of
> "Adapting to a Changing World - Challenges and Opportunities in
> Undergraduate Physics Education" [NRC (2013) at <http://bit.ly/
> 126os6j> ] it's stated:
>
> "Hake?s (1998a) seminal report <http://bit.ly/9484DG> on the
> effectiveness of interactive engagement methods remains an important
> contribution to undergraduate physics education. The article
> presents results from the Mechanics Diagnostic (MD) [Halloun &
> Hestenes (1985) at <http://bit.ly/fDdJHm>] and the Force Concept
> Inventory (FCI) [Hestenes et al. (1992) at <http://bit.ly/foWmEb>],
> given before and after instruction on Newtonian mechanics in a
> variety of courses taught using different approaches. . . . . . .
> the conclusion, that more effective instructional approaches involve
> active learning, has been supported by many other studies using
> different methodology [Meltzer and Thornton (2012) at <http://bit.ly/O35gtB

> >] and Hoellwarth et al. (2005) at <http://bit.ly/156hHhF>.].

All well and good but what do you do with students absolutely and
totally convinced that learning = memorizing and therefore that
teaching = showing?

Interested regards
--schremmer