Topic: The sad decline of America’s colleges
Replies: 7   Last Post: Sep 25, 2013 9:25 AM

Martin E. Flashman

Re: The sad decline of America’s colleges
att1.html (5.1 K)

Haim,

I have followed your remarks on lists for too many years to count- going
back to the (open) math wars. Though I admit that I usually don't find your
remarks directed at helping others to teach or understand mathematics or
math education better - or to do something concrete that would improve the
state of math education for either math teachers or learners, *my message
was not directed at you personally. *

Every so often the straw gets a little too heavy for me to carry -so I ask
people to stop putting straw on my back. You are right- in my view you are
not the only offender.- and I am not the policeman- or the moderator- of
this list. [I did own the calc-reform list many years ago and when
discussions left the topic I would work on bringing discussions back to the
basic purpose of the list.]

People on lists often respond to messages by "taking the bait" and then are
drawn into discussions which lead off topic. In a moderated list, this is
controlled by a moderator. In an open list- the control comes from those
who respond. So if discussions lead to a long thread of meaningful
interactions on the list topic the members can consider they have
contributed to the success of the list. When they don't, the list losses
readership and members leave. C'est la vie.

Sorry if you spent too much of your time on researching my history on this
list. If you enjoy such research, maybe you should consider working for the
NIA. :)

*This is more than enough for me- I am don responding to this thread, which
started with your message: "The sad decline of America?s colleges"- clearly
marked on the subject line.*

martin