Replies: 1   Last Post: Sep 25, 2013 9:29 PM

Louis Talman

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 12:03:12 -0600, Dave L. Renfro <renfr1dl@cmich.edu>
wrote:

> One thing I like about his approach is that rather than immediately lead
> up to some all-purpose distance formula, we work each distance evaluation
> in the way the formula can be derived: dist^2 = (horiz)^2 + (vert)^2.
> Or at least, do it this way for the first day or two of covering it.
> Doing this will likely help counteract students' tendency to process
> "why explanations" by having them go in one ear and out the other.

I suspect that what it really leads to for many students is several days
of quietly waiting, without absorbing anything at all, for the black box
they can memorize. Then they can forget what it's for. This latter is made
easier by failing to come to grips with any meaning there might be in any
of the exercises.

- --Louis A. Talman
Metropolitan State University of Denver

<http://rowdy.msudenver.edu/~talmanl>