Topic: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
Replies: 19   Last Post: Oct 4, 2013 9:29 PM

kirby urner

Re: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
att1.html (10.5 K)

On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 11:39 PM, GS Chandy <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Indeed you have. But I believe (though I have not done any modeling on
> them) that most - ALL! - of your postings, here as well as at your blogs,
> etc, reflect a position that ENCOURAGEMENT is crucil, that students would
> learn to PUSH themselves when ENCOURAGEMENT is done effectively (by
> teachers; by the system as a whole: in fact, I believe this is confirmed
> right here in this very post of yours).

Does OPMS come with any pre-defined axes or
spectra? By which I mean "pairs of opposites"?
When you get into "assessments" versus "goal
setting" you find the gurus have their axes, and
series of questions designed to pinpoint you against
a backdrop of known personality types, or at least
get you in a ballpark, somewhat pigeon-holed.

As you know, Jungian psychology -- a topic in my
blogs a lot, along with psychology in general -- may
be reduced to primitive archetypes which define
the phase space for any given ego. The ego is
cast as a "hero" (foreground protagonist) and
is faced with challenges or barriers to achieving
some objective, often rescuing a member of the
opposite sex, but that's just in the general case.

In the foreground, all nuances are accommodated,
including same-sex affiliations (the Jungians talk
about "eros, philia, and agape" with some adding
"storge").

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Four_Loves
(I don't claim C.S. Lewis was a Jungian but his
work e.g. Narnia stuff, is oft cited by Jungians)

As you well know, Bucky Fuller is one of my heroes
(along with Isaac Asimov, Ludwig Wittgenstein,
Dora Marsden and some others (many others --
I admire many people)). Bucky thought a great
axis was Fear versus Longing, and the spectrum
in between.

If you consider the history of Great Migrations, it's
sometimes a combination, but weighted towards
one end. Like the Irish fleeing famine conditions
when potato crops failed. Fear of starvation, of
apocalyptic conditions, drove many to the New
World who'd had no previous strong longing to
go there.

They were prodded more than were following
some projection of a longed-for lifestyle. Had it
not been for Fear (well justified, not baseless) they
would have stayed put, many of them.

I would encourage you and I to take up the "Fear
versus Longing" spectrum as a backdrop against
which to discuss both pedagogy and andragogy.

To what extent do we enable students to long for
a deeper understanding and competence in
matters mathematical, and to what extent do
they shiver in a fear-driven panic that failure on
the next test means disgrace to the family and
to themselves.

Let me also say I've been thinking a lot about my
critique of the classroom, which is currently
dissipating in some areas where it was once the
only model.

It's a complicated topic, lets agree.

Group dynamics *and* the "fear versus longing"
spectrum: lets employ OPMS to explore that
more deeply, if you think it provides the tools.

Consider, for example, how effective it is to punish
the group for the failings of individuals within the
group. All bear the consequences and so the group
dynamic is to gang up as peers against those not
pulling their own weight or whatever.

A million movies take us through boot camp X
exploring this theme.

Why does a military use this cruel / unfair approach?
Because military units have to accomplish their
assigned duties as a team with assigned roles.
An individual's mistakes may derail the whole
mission, and so no matter how professionally you
performed, if your teammate was not up to par,
you get to be a loser.

Movie-making has a lot of these dynamics. You're
a young star, up and coming you hope and think,
but then you get trapped into this movie that stinks,
and you feel the director, the producer, have let you
down, in releasing work that drags down the reputation
of all those starring within it, a sinking ship.

Politics: same way. You don't want to be stuck on
a team with losers, lest they judge you a loser like
them. And so it goes.

It has long been my feeling that students learn quite as much from their
> interactions with peers as they do from interactions with their teachers.
> Rather, it is mainly through their peer-group interactions that the
> teacher's lessons take hold in the students' minds.

That's quite valid and a true observation and
causes me to rethink what's going on in the
"workspace teacher lessons" triangle.

I was exulting in how Cyberia now offers you
private lessons from qualified teachers in the
comfort of your own nook or cranny, no need
to venture into the rough and tumble world and
find some "classroom" in some far corner of
some campus. The campus is on-line.

Caveat, right away: this doesn't work for all
subjects. I need to say that a lot. Not every
subject is as conducive to learning in a darkened
cave. But Pymath, with illuminated text, curtains
pulled, is a great pass time for women who are
stereotypically expected to stay at home to take
care of things. Being a "homemaker" and a
Global U student: these go together if you've
got bandwidth (Internet access).

How many veiled women in Iran or Saudi Arabia
are studying HTML / CSS and/or programming by
satellite from the privacy of their own apartments?
How many already have their own websites, for
eCommerce or eDiplomacy or whatever?

You might be surprised, and/or I might be, but I think
we're safe in assuming that no one really has these
numbers, not the UN, not the government of Iran,
not 007's boss, not anyone. Humanity is not
infinitely transparent to itself and much is only
revealed in retrospect, years if not decades later.

So yes, that's all true, a lot of private lessons are
going on, as we speak, with teacher-lesson-workspace
the primary triangle, but there's still a sense of a peer
group even in this simple picture.

You have alums from the same school (others who
did what you did), you have a sense of shared events,
such as Pycons and User Groups -- this is when
learning Pymath from me, or whatever we call it.

You just don't know who signed up when or who
will finish when you do, at least not in the general
case. You don't sit in a room full of other people,
not even as avatars.

Or don't you?

Can't a bevy of home schoolers all take the same
on-line class, and work through it together in
some parents' living room?

We ask them to give proper credit if working with
peers, but otherwise don't say they shouldn't.
These are programmers in the making. They're
*supposed* to work in groups, and well. Talk
about tightly coordinated group dynamics:
developers use version control and everything.

I need to remember that, in the special case, five
people who all know each other might sign up for
my course.

They could boast around the water cooler who was
up to what project. Some might feel further behind
and strive to catch up.

Those dynamics are real and I was wrong to not
consider them when contrasting my model to the
classroom model. In fact, they're not as mutually
exclusive as I may have implied.

Finally, I should remember to remark that this
"Fear versus Longing" that Bucky Fuller thought
central to individual and group dynamics, was
not a thought original with him. He in fact learned
it from Albert Einstein and some essay the latter
had written in the New York Times. In the early
days, Einstein was getting a lot of focus as a
philosopher, not just a physicist, and he wrote
about non-anthropomorphic cosmic intelligence
and such things, quite inspiring to young readers
at the time.

Fuller really looked up to Einstein and finally got
to meet him in person at Princeton. Einstein had
been notified of a book, 'Nine Chains to the Moon'
that purported to contain explanations of Einstein's
ideas. Publishers were skeptical and mailed Einstein
the manuscript. Einstein was intrigued by it, and
wanted to meet the young man behind it, our hero,
Bucky Fuller. The moment of their meeting is well
dramatized in D.W. Jacob's play on Fuller called
'The History and Mystery of Universe'. Einstein
gave Fuller his blessings to go ahead with publication.
This was all pre-atom bomb and people were a lot
more upbeat about nuclear energy then, not yet
knowing about the long-lasting radio-toxins that
are its byproducts.

Kirby

Date Subject Author
9/24/13
Read Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
Richard Hake
9/25/13
Read Re: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
Wayne Bishop
9/25/13
Read Re: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
Jonathan Crabtree
9/25/13
Read Re: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
Louis Talman
9/26/13
Read Re: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
Wayne Bishop
9/25/13
Read Re: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
GS Chandy
9/26/13
Read Re: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
kirby urner
9/27/13
Read Re: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
GS Chandy
9/27/13
Read Re: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
kirby urner
9/29/13
Read Re: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
GS Chandy
9/29/13
Read Re: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
kirby urner
9/30/13
Read Re: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
GS Chandy
9/30/13
Read Re: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
kirby urner
9/30/13
Read Re: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
GS Chandy
10/1/13
Read Re: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
kirby urner
10/1/13
Read Re: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
GS Chandy
10/1/13
Read Re: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
kirby urner
10/2/13
Read Re: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
GS Chandy
10/3/13
Read Re: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
kirby urner
10/4/13