Topic: "Uncle Al" Schwartz caught on video: Blast from the past!
Replies: 9   Last Post: Oct 5, 2013 10:59 PM

Lord Androcles

Re: "Uncle Al" Schwartz caught on video: Blast from the past!

"Tom Potter" wrote in message news:3k34u.13032$I35.11234@fx01.iad...

>>> news:2bp2u.7477$7g6.3016@fx28.am4...

> [...]
>>> What medium is that, Potty? Ectoplasm, the ghost of aether?
>>>
>>> -- Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway

>> Electromagnetic waves convey action
>> from a sources to sinks
>> much like Newton's cradle.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Newtons_cradle_animation_book_2.gif
>>
>> Maxwell modeled the transfer very well
>> with his "displacement current".
>>
>> In order to explain how electromagnetic action propagated,
>> Maxwell came up with the concept of "dielectric displacement"
>> Yes, we know, aether. Seven years after Maxwell's death Michelson
>> made it redundant, rendering Maxwell's theory of permittivity of aether
>> obsolete. When the substance vanishes its properties vanish too.
>> Your Newton's cradle analogy is a good one; but for a magnetic field,
>> not a displacement current. Had Maxwell lived he'd have modified his
>> theory. When the first ball is raised it has potential energy and no
>> motion, akin to a voltage. When released the PE falls to zero and
>> the KE is at a maximum, akin to a magnetic field. Striking the next
>> ball, the first ball stops dead and the KE is transferred to the next
>> ball which rises. You've got displacement KE, but not displacement
>> current. You can do the same with a chain of transformers, the
>> secondary winding connected to the primary of the next transformer,
>> but the links in the chain are alternating copper loop, iron loop,
>> copper loop, iron loop... with an electric current in the copper and
>> a magnetic flux in the iron. So I'll say again: What medium is that,
>> Potty? Ectoplasm, the ghost of aether? Electromagnetic waves are
>> the alternating fields that exist without the hardware of copper
>> and iron. AND WITHOUT AETHER.
>> Corollary:
>> The velocity of light is source dependent, not aether dependent
>> or observer dependent. Newton's cradle (if you want the analogy)
>> works just the same in the ISS travelling at 17,000 mph and so does
>> MMX.
>> Newton would agree, Galileo would agree, William of Ockham
>> would agree. Throw that gamma shit out, it's for the birds.
>>
>> -- Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway

> I am saddened to see that my pal Androcles
> did not understand my post,
>
> which clearly indicated that the AETHER
> is the geometry used to map objects and events.
>
> Gamma, like geometry, is a useful tool.
>
> All of Maxwell's tools work very well,
> and if he had stated that
> "The map is not the territory."
>
> people wouldn't be making such a fuss
> over an AETHER and Relativity.
>
> --
> Tom Potter
> A hammer is a useful tool for rivets that Potty uses to drive screws
> without turning them. Rivets join iron, screws join wood. It's a poor
> teacher that can't answer his student's questions. You didn't answer my
> question, so I'll ask a third time: What medium is that, saddened Potty?
> Ectoplasm, the ghost of aether?
>
> -- Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway

I am saddened to see
I don't really give a flying fuck how saddened you are, I'll ask a fourth
time.
What medium is that, doubly saddened Potty? Ectoplasm, the ghost of aether?

-- Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway