Topic: small confidence limit to demonstrate inability to reject H0?
Replies: 4   Last Post: Oct 13, 2013 4:09 PM

Paul

Re: small confidence limit to demonstrate inability to reject H0?

On Thursday, October 10, 2013 7:08:03 PM UTC-4, Rich Ulrich wrote:

<...some confirmations that small p-values do not demonstrate a
lack difference, and that the use of large p-values may be due to
historical lack of understanding, which may be improving...>

> As a very general rule, p-levels are not good indicators of effect
> size. Or, conversely, for lack-of-effect size. N is the huge
> confounder, plus, it depends on how sensitive your test is for
> finding an "effect."

Understood. I'm just focusing on acceptance/rejection of H0.

> When you want to show similarity, you want to show a narrow CI on
> some relevant difference, for some meaningful measure... not merely
> an absence of "demonstrated" difference. Crappy measures can give
> you apparent similarities.

My understanding is that narrow CI can only show lack of evidence against H0, but can never show the evidence for H0.