Topic: Mathematica does not see "}"
Replies: 8   Last Post: Oct 30, 2013 12:12 AM

John Fultz

Re: Mathematica does not see "}"

I don't think you understood what I was trying to say.

Octal \042 represents the double-quote character. There is no reason to enter the character as octal. You could literally have typed the quote character. And if you did so, you would not experience the problem. In the notebook, replace:

=93\042 =93

with

=93\=94 =93

The MathGroup post corrupted what I typed last time, so to clarify, that's double-quote backslash double-quote space double-quote, or in other words, the string that results from the following command:

FromCharacterCode[{34, 32}]

John Fultz
jfultz@wolfram.com
User Interface Group
Wolfram Research, Inc.

On Oct 28, 2013, at 10:21 PM, J=E1nos L=F6bb <janos@lobb.com> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> I see,
> Then it looks to me that there is a problem with how the Frontend is dealing with the octal representation. The reason I am using \042 because I use it as word separator so I can get the word that \042 terminates. I tried the hex representation but I could not make it work.
>
> Best,
> J=E1nos
>
> On Oct 28, 2013, at 9:30 AM, John Fultz <jfultz@wolfram.com> wrote:
>

>> The front end is recognizing \042 as a quote character and matching it against the opening quote of the string, which then messes up what is being sent to the kernel.
>>
>> You can avoid the problem completely if you replace all instances of \042 with \=94 (i.e., a string-escaped quote).
>>
>> John Fultz
>> jfultz@wolfram.com
>> User Interface Group
>> Wolfram Research, Inc.
>>

>> On Oct 27, 2013, at 11:40 PM, J=E1nos L=F6bb <janos@lobb.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>> Any good idea why Mathematica 9.0.1 on MacOSX 10.8.5 is complaining about this line below? Sorry for the Input text, but plain text do not show it.
>>> In the code I copied and pasted this line from another place, but that should not matter. or should ?
>>> Looks to me that Mathematica is not seeing the "}" character on this line. Looks like it puts some invisible dirt there. I do not want to retype every character in the code. Copy and Paste should work.
>>>
>>> pLfmDerivationArray =
>>> Table[Read[rawfp, Word, WordSeparators -> {"\042 "}],{1}]
>>>

>>> Syntax::bktmcp : "Expression \"\[NoBreak]{"\042 "}],{1}]\
>>> \[IndentingNewLine]\[NoBreak]\" has no closing \"\[NoBreak]"}"\
>>> \[NoBreak]\"\[NoBreak]""\[NoBreak]."
>>>
>>> Syntax::bktmcp : "Expression \"\[NoBreak]{"\042 "}],{1}]\
>>> \[IndentingNewLine]\[NoBreak]\" has no closing \"\[NoBreak]"}"\
>>> \[NoBreak]\"\[NoBreak]""\[NoBreak]."
>>>
>>> Syntax::sntxi : "Incomplete expression; more input is needed \
>>> \[NoBreak]""\[NoBreak]."
>>>

>>> or
>>>

>>> pLfmDerivationArray =
>>> Table[Read[rawfp, Word, WordSeparators -> {"\042 "}],{1}]
>>>
>>> Syntax::bktmcp : "Expression \"\[NoBreak]{"\042 =

"}],{1}]\[NoBreak]\" \
>>> has no closing \"\[NoBreak]"}"\[NoBreak]\"\[NoBreak]""\[NoBreak]."
>>>
>>> Syntax::bktmcp : "Expression \"\[NoBreak]{"\042 =

"}],{1}]\[NoBreak]\" \
>>> has no closing \"\[NoBreak]"}"\[NoBreak]\"\[NoBreak]""\[NoBreak]."
>>>
>>> Syntax::sntxi : "Incomplete expression; more input is needed \
>>> \[NoBreak]""\[NoBreak]."
>>>

>>> Thanks ahead,
>>> J=E1nos
>>> P.S. Trying to catch up from version 5.2 :-) Vince and roby thanks =

for the good tips for reading bits. UnsignedInteger24 mastered to avoid =
my attention.

>>> After some deleting and retyping the same, finally Mathematica was =

satisfied with this line: